Tuesday, November 18, 2014

That's What They Said: Honesty and Misunderstanding

(Upon realizing Baylor's tooth was suddenly very loose ...)
Me:  Baylor, are you excited about your loose tooth?
Baylor:  Oh yeah!
Me:  Yeah?  Are you going to write a note to the tooth fairy when you lose your tooth?
Baylor:  Yes.  I am going to write to her and ask her for a Tootsie Roll and a dime.  (pauses)  But I'll bet you she just gives me the dime.  So I can go buy a Tootsie Roll.  Then I'd have both!



Me:  Baylor, have you started typing yet?
Baylor:  Oh yeah, I do typing at school!
Me:  I mean with your fingers in the right places.  You don't do that yet, do you?
Baylor:  Oh, no.
Me:  I didn't think so.  Your hands aren't big enough for that yet.  You'll probably do that in ... well, I did that in ... hmm, well that might not be indicative of when you'll start actual typing.  I don't think we had computers at our school until I was in fourth grade.
Baylor:  (staring at me in disbelief)  What?
Me:  We didn't have computers at our school until I was in about fourth grade.  They just weren't around much until then.
Baylor:  Did you have electricity?!
Me:  Yes, we had electricity.  Thanks.
Baylor:  (after thinking for a moment)  Was electricity discovered when you were born?
Me:  Yes, thanks, honey.



(While we were on our way to pick Baylor up from school ...)
Amalia:  Mommy, did you know that some people are in danger from wolves?
Me:  Did you say "wolves"?
Amalia:  Yes, wolves.
Me:  Well, I suppose.  What exactly do you mean?
Amalia:  Well, it depends on what kind of house you live in.  Wolves like to blow things down.  Good thing we live in a brick house!


(While they were playing in the basement ...)
Amalia:  (with the enthusiasm of an aerobics instructor)  Baylor!  Let's get our wiggles out, okay?!
Baylor:  Okay!



(While they were playing Spartanopoly ... yes, Spartanopoly ...)
Baylor:  (visibly upset) If Mollie wins, I will be covered in tears.  (still upset, but trying not to be)  Tears of joy.



(After putting the outriggers on his Raingutter Regatta boat ...)
Baylor:  Mom!  I learned how to screw ... with wood!

No comments: