Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dad's Birthday (A Month and Three Days Late)

Yup, things have been a little busy around the house and in my life lately, and I have neglected my writing space here on this blog.  (Oh, and in case you were wondering ... it has taken me a week to get this post up and going, hence the miscalculation of time since my dad's birthday.)  Hopefully this post will mark the return to regular blogging ...

Dad's birthday was on November 18th, and we all got together to celebrate it.  Baylor helped me wrap Dad's gifts, though I questioned his choice of wrapping paper.  



I think he liked it because it had words on it; he's never really heard the word "naughty" before in his life, and I actually had to explain the meaning of it to him.  (I have never told him he is "naughty" because I feel like, when you start saying things like that to your child, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  And he's not naughty, so why start saying that in the heat of the moment when it isn't true?)  Regardless of its meaning, he still wanted to use the paper.


He also "helped" me with the ribbon, unspooling as much of it as he could before I got to him.  Thanks, buddy!


We went to Bobarino's in downtown Grand Rapids for dinner.  Mollie had just woken up not long before we left, so she still had puffy baby face.


And Baylor still had bed head.


Baylor got to sit next to the birthday boy.


And had every one's attention for most of the meal.



After they were finished with their meals, Baylor and Grandpa E went for a little walk around the BOB.  I believe it was during this walk that Baylor fell in love with the place; he has repeatedly asked to return there for dinner since that night.


Mollie decided to be a finicky eater that night, so she got to hang back with the ladies.


Back at my parents' house, Baylor helped Grandpa E open his gifts.


And while everyone was focused on the gift opening, Mollie decided to take advantage of the lack of supervision and get into my parents' DVD cabinet.


Then, after her brother decided to run around pants-less, she went over and practiced her self-dressing skills and put them on.


After all the gifts were opened, we decided it was high time for pie time!  (Yup, my dad requested an apple pie in lieu of a traditional birthday cake ... awesome sauce!)  Baylor, lucky guy that he is, got his own piece of pie and his own bowl of ice cream.


We're so lucky to live so close to my parents that we're able to celebrate all sorts of milestones with them.  Happy (very belated) birthday, Dad!  I hope it was a great one and that you have an amazing year to come!

No comments: