Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Low Sodium Life: Cheddar Biscuits

This recipe comes from one of my go-to books on low sodium cooking, 500 Low Sodium Recipes by Dick Logue.  Bryson had been telling the kids about biscuits for one reason or another and saying we should make some sometime.  I know that Bisquick is really high in sodium, so I started looking for an actual recipe to make instead.  Now, these biscuits, the way I make them, are higher in sodium than the author intended; Meijer doesn't sell sodium-free baking powder or low sodium cheddar cheese, so I have to make due with what I have access to.

In any case, here is the recipe!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Cheddar Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sodium-free baking powder (I use low sodium baking powder in its place.)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup skim milk
1/2 cup shredded low sodium cheddar cheese
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Combine flour and baking powder.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.  Stir in milk and cheese and beat until combined.  Spread on a greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes.  Combine melted butter, garlic powder, and parsley and pour over hot biscuits.  Cut into squares.

These are best served warm, so often I bake them as I am putting the main dish and other side dishes on the table and getting everyone settled.  That way they are as fresh and hot as can be for dinner.

Enjoy!

No comments: