Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Way Back Wednesday: Book Character Day with Fancy Mollie

Back in early March, at the very start of reading month, the kids' school had a dress up like your favorite book character day.  Baylor, not a fan of costumes, decided not to participate, but Mollie, ever a fan of costumes, decided to be Fancy Nancy.  The clothes were an easy choice - lots of color and jewelry and tulle - but the hair was another issue altogether.  Fancy Nancy has super curly red hair that she does up in wild up-dos on a daily basis.  Not able to get the red hair and not having time to curl Mollie's super thick hair, we did our best.  (Poor girl looked so tired!)



First, to get some volume, I made two ponytails on the top of her head.


After that, I just started taking bobby pins and looping her hair up and over to create the illusion of curls.  Fancy Nancy usually has bits sticking out here and there, so I wasn't too worried about making them look perfect.  We also added lots of bejeweled bobby pins, flower clips, and butterfly barrettes to really up the fancy factor.




I bobby pinned her tiara in place so it would hopefully make it home at the end of the day.

Once we were done with her hair, we threw on the tulle skirt my mom has for dress up at her house, and she was all ready!



Well, almost all ready ... can't forget the glasses!  (Fancy Nancy doesn't usually wear glasses, but Fancy Mollie does ... and it really seemed to up the fanciness if you ask me.)


I love dress up days at school, and I was even more excited that we pulled this whole look together without being late!  (Which was mind-boggling, considering we usually can't get ourselves ready on time on our normal-looking days.  The power of motivation is strong, I guess.)

I can't wait to see what she and I come up with next year!

No comments: