Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ultrasound Night

Have you ever noticed how things look when you're in a darkened room? It's almost like everything is in black and white ... the colors disappear from your surroundings and everything shifts to shades of gray. Since my son was born and I've been up a lot more in the middle of the night, I've become accustomed to the grays of nighttime.

The other night I looked down at my son as I was up feeding him at around 3:30 a.m. Bathed in the soft glow of his moon nightlight, he looked like he did in his some of his later ultrasounds. I sat there, tired as can be, and marveled at how far we have come from the days when he was still inside me.

I don't really miss being pregnant. I gained about 64 pounds during those nine months and it took a toll on my body; from carpel tunnel syndrome in my fingers and hands to aching knees to a perpetually sore back, by the end of my pregnancy I felt pretty bad most of the time.

With that being said, the only thing I do miss about being pregnant was that my baby was with me all the time. I never had to worry about putting him down because my arms were tired, and I could always talk to him because he was always there ... connected to me. He's still connected to me, though, and always will be - they really aren't joking when they say that when you have children it's like your heart is forever walking around outside your body.

No comments: