Thursday, November 4, 2010

Easy Dinner: Pretzel-Coated Chicken and What-I've-Got Rice

I haven't gone to the grocery store this week ... there I said it.  I've limped along with what we've got in the house and a few "could you pick this up for me"s to my mom.  So it's no surprise that last night, with the ground beef all gone, I was left with some frozen chicken breasts and a petrified look on my face.  What to do?  What to do?

I looked around, looked at the available recipes I had, and came up with this mash up of food.  Let's just say, I'm glad I decided to buy little bags of pretzels to give to trick or treaters and then failed to actually do so.

The first recipe is of my own creation but was heavily inspired by a more elaborate recipe from Woman's Day.  They used three different "chips", but I only had pretzels so we made it work. 

Pretzel-Coated Chicken

Serves 2 (well, two adults and a toddler)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups thin pretzels (you can use sticks, but I had bats and jack o' lanterns)
2 eggs
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (estimation - I honestly just shook in a bunch)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  (Yes, do this right away.)

In a food processor, reduce pretzels to fine crumbs.  Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl and set aside.

In a second wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and soy sauce.

Pound out the chicken breasts until thin (1/2" thick, give or take) and even.  Dip the chicken breasts one at a time into the egg mixture and then into the crushed pretzels, coating both sides completely.  Set aside.

In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until very hot.  Add the chicken breasts and cook until they are browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes.  Turn the breasts, then place the skillet in the oven.  Bake for 8 minutes.

And you're done!  That's it!  It was quick, easy, and totally delicious. 

Now, for my next recipe/creation. 

Like I said, I haven't been to the grocery store in a while and I was just trying to use what I had to make dinner delicious.  My husband is no doubt tired of eating frozen peas or corn on alternating days, and I wanted our side dish to be super healthy.  So here's what I came up with.  I thought it was delicious and am totally planning on making it again!

Nicole's What-I've-Got Rice

1 package Uncle Ben's Ready Rice in Roasted Chicken flavor, uncooked
1 14.5 oz. can no-salt diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 handful of diced yellow onion
1 Tbsp. water

Combine all ingredients into a large sauce pan and cook until heated through and the onions are done to your liking.

That's it!  Easy peasy lemon squeezie!  Hearty and delicious, it really went well with the chicken and packed a lot of protein-rich energy.

I hope you enjoy it!  We surely did!  Best of all, both of these recipes can be made in a hurry (as long as your chicken is thawed). 

No comments: