Saturday, November 20, 2010

Quick 'N Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup

This recipe has been adapted, by my mom, from the back of the Quaker Quick Barley box.  I have had it a bunch at her house, and I got to make it for the first time yesterday - with her help, of course, as the kiddos wait for nothing.  Here's what my lunch looks like today!



Okay, here's the recipe ... it makes a bunch and stays good in the refrigerator for about a week.  My mom hasn't tried freezing this yet, but I'm hoping to once I get our freezer under control (and/or get another freezer).  Enjoy!

Quick 'N Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup

Makes 8 (1 cup) servings (according to the box)

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used a handful of dehydrated white onions, and rehydrated them before adding)
1 clove garlic (or about 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder)
5 cups liquid (chicken, vegetable, or beef broth: 3 cups, tomato juice: 2 cups)
14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes (unsalted)
3/4 cup barley
diced potato (my mom adds one, I added five medium/small potatoes - we both use Yukon gold and leave on the skin)
1 bag frozen veggies (steam in microwavable bag)
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp. Basil

In a large 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat and drain if necessary.  Add onion and garlic.  Add broth and potatoes - make sure potatoes are mostly covered by broth, adding more broth if necessary; cook until potatoes are tender.  Steam vegetables in the microwave according to package instructions, then add to pot.  Add all other ingredients except tomato juice and diced tomatoes.  Bring to a simmer.  Add tomato juice and diced tomatoes.  Cook for 10 minutes.

Also, if you don't eat it immediately, you may want to add some chicken broth to it again when you go to reheat it later on, as the barley tends to absorb a bit of the moisture.

Note:  It is very important that you NOT add any tomato products to the soup until everything else is cooked to your liking.  According to my mom, tomatoes stop the cooking process.  Fascinating, huh?

I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!

No comments: