Sunday, February 5, 2012

Low Sodium Life: The Bread Maker

When I started this whole low sodium diet a couple weeks ago, I had no idea how much sodium was in the food I ate.  Bread, in particular, shocked me; as I mentioned previously, just to eat two slices of the regular bread I buy would equal ten percent of my daily allotted sodium intake.  The thing is, I love bread; there was no realistic way I could cut it out.

So, with lots of plans and hopes of follow-through, we started researching bread machines.  My husband was, surprisingly, on board with the whole plan; turns out he was just really excited at the thought of homemade bread.  (Who can blame him, though?)

After much looking online, we settled on the Oster 2 LB. Expressbake Breadmaker.  (In case you are interested, the model number is CKSTBRTW20.)  It is relatively quiet except for the beeps during the kneading time (when you can add things like raisins) and at the end.  It has been pretty easy to clean up, and so far the bread we've made has been delicious.








Though the bread maker came with a bunch of recipes, we have been making recipes from one of the low sodium cookbooks I checked out from the library, and it has been awesome.

It's odd trying to get used to making bread when I need it, but it has been nice not to have to go to the grocery store when I run out of bread.  The kids aren't in love with this new bread yet, but I think they will warm up to it with time.

If any of you are interested, I can always post a couple of the recipes here on the blog.

Have a happy, healthy day!                    

2 comments:

C said...

Do you remove the kneading blade while the dough is baking?

-- C

Nicole said...

No, I do not. I bake it right in the breadmaker and therefore just remove the blade once the bread has completed baking. It leaves a bit of a hole in the bottom of the bread, but I hate to disturb any of the bread machine's processes so I just leave it be.