Monday, May 5, 2014

56 Years Young

Today is my mom's 56th birthday, but since my dad was going to be away for her actual birthday we celebrated with him over the weekend.  Mollie made a card for her Oma, complete with a scribbled "maze" on the front.



We gave her most of her gifts today on her actual birthday, but the kids wanted to give her their present on Saturday at the birthday celebration/Kentucky Derby party (it falls near my mom's birthday every year, so we usually incorporate the two if we can).  She was delighted to find they had picked out a garden angel, complete with pinwheel-style flower wings.


Right after my mom had foot surgery a few weeks ago, Baylor told her he was going to make her a crossword puzzle with 55 words - since she was 55 at the time.  Let me tell you, that is a lot of words.  But after a few weeks we finally had it, and I was able to work all the words into a massive crossword puzzle for her birthday.  The theme: What Makes Oma Happy/What Oma Loves.


Of course, we got to enjoy some of my sister's phenomenal baking, as we do nearly every time we get together.  My mom requested lemon meringue pie for her first special day (of two), and Christine pulled it off with flying colors.  It was tart and delicious.


Baylor, of course, ate the meringue off the top first, and quickly.


We had a great time celebrating my mom's birthday and watching the Kentucky Derby (Bryson's horse won), and it was nice to be able to celebrate the amazing woman my mom is.

Mom, thank you for all that you are and all that you do.  You are an exceptional role model and a beacon of love in our family.  I know that this birthday was different than others, but I hope you were able to enjoy it at least a bit and know that you have so many who love, care for, and appreciate who you are.  I love you!  Happy, happy birthday!


No comments: