Thursday, January 12, 2012

Potty Training: At the End of a Rough Day ...

Yesterday was tough ... insanely tough.  Potty training two kids is possibly one of the toughest, most patience-challenging things I've had to do, and yesterday I started to crack under the pressure.  A couple times I just had to tune out the kids and breathe deeply, otherwise I knew I would break.  I'll be honest, after they finally went down for naps (an hour after they were supposed to) I broke down and sobbed for a while.  Between them just not listening to me, running back and forth between the one on the potty and the one refusing to go, second-guessing myself as to whether Mollie is ready for it or not, them acting out because new skills make kids do that, the house being a complete disaster area because all I've had time to do is deal with pottying, spending all my time in the smallest (and now smelliest) room in our house, and them ganging up on me I needed a good cry to get myself back on track.  Then came dinner ... *sigh*.

And after dinner, I sent them off to the living room with their dad to play and I spent some time frantically doing dishes so I could get to bed early to try to fit in my required eight hours of sleep (I have a sleep study today and tomorrow I have to "rest up" for ... it seems asinine to me but whatever).  All of a sudden I noticed this happening, and it made everything else about the day, all the stuff that made me cry earlier, disappear.  Make sure you have your sound on and wait for the end ... it'll be worth it, I promise you.



Yeah, he told her, "I love you."

After I recorded this, initially doing it just because they were playing together and being cute, I started to cry again.  This time, though, it was because all those fears I had when I found out I was pregnant with Mollie finally disappeared.  They're becoming friends, and they both know I love them (and I do ... so very much).  Sure, our house is almost always in some state of disarray, but my kids are happy and loving people.  That's all a mom can ask for, really.

Now on for another day ... I should really have this video playing on repeat so I can stay happy and sane for the marathon that is potty training.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Oma said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. I'm so happy that you could see the beauty in that simple moment of the kids playing together. You will get through potty training and at least one of them will be trained at the end. Mollie may not be ready, but I've no doubt when her time comes she'll train in a snap!! You've done a great job, hang on a little longer and sleep will be your reward. Love you, honey!

rachel said...

i love that when you are potty training that you don't have to wear pants!!