Friday, November 28, 2008

A Black Friday Indeed

I heard today that a New York Walmart employee was trampled to death today during the rush this morning. Several customers, I believe, were also taken to the hospital because of injuries sustained during the initial onslaught. What does it say when people are in such a hurry to get a good deal on a gift that they don't notice they have stepped on another human being and are slowly killing or maiming them? Doesn't this sort of behavior go against the true spirit of Christmas? And in these troubled times, shouldn't we be trying to help each other out instead of trying just to get ahead?

In light of this story, I am reminded of my favorite Christmas book (The Grinch Who Stole Christmas) and one of my favorite Christmas movies (A Charlie Brown Christmas). Both speak to the true meaning of Christmas ... helping others out and taking time out to really appreciate and enjoy the people around you. I love giving gifts because I feel like it is a way to thank people for being in my life and for all they do for me and my family throughout the year. Too often it seems like we as a culture try to get the biggest and best gifts when really it is the thought behind the gift that matters most.

I'm sure I'll be writing more about my feelings about Christmas and this time of year as we approach the actual holiday. It is one of my favorite holidays (right up there with Halloween ... gotta love dressing up) so I have a lot to say about it. Each aspect of the holiday, from Santa to the tree, means something different to me. And I know my feelings might differ from others, so I'd love to hear what people have to say about these topics.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

well my feelings are that Walmart is just wrong and that the men who run it are amoral and that the people who shop there knowing the lack of values and the horrible way the company treats their employees - I'm never surprised when I hear that bad things happen there. I always feel bad though when something happens to an employee because most times people who work there don't have any other choice.