Tuesday, November 25, 2008

New Traditions

I'm all about traditions, particularly during the holidays. And now that I have a son, I want to focus more on traditions that illustrate what the season is all about. For example, I found an idea in Parents magazine where you make a turkey and on the feathers you write the things you are thankful for. I think that would be a lovely tradition to start and something that would be fun for a child.

And eventually, I'd like to start a tradition inspired by something my dad always did with my sister and I. Every year the three of us would go out and buy toys for Toys for Tots. It taught us how important it is to give to those less fortunate than us and that giving can be fun in and of itself. It is so important to me that my son value these things as well.


Of course, there are traditions that are just about spending time with family ... like cutting down the Christmas tree with my parents and sister. My son, at only twelve weeks old, will be joining us on our annual outing this Sunday. He'll be in his little baby carrier all bundled up, wearing his super cute aviator hat my sister made for him (pictures will be posted of it soon ... no worries). We usually spend at least an hour wandering around in the cold debating which tree will be perfect for us this year, having a snowball fight or two, and cracking wise the whole time. Every year we say we're going to agree on a tree faster than the year before, but it almost never happens. Then we take the tree home and watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation while we decorate it.

My husband is allergic to pine trees, so our family tradition is hunting for the tree in the basement and bringing it upstairs in pieces. Not as typically romantic a picture of putting up a Christmas tree, but it's ours ... and we are warm and dry the entire time. Oh, and the lights are already on our tree - can't beat that. And instead of Christmas Vacation, we watch Elf as we decorate our tree. With our son joining us this year it will be even more special! I can't wait.

As you can see, I'm all about traditions. What are yours?

No comments: