Thursday, September 23, 2010

Decimated

I always want to use the word "decimated" for things, like how this stomach flu has decimated the Jacques family for over a week now, picking off adult after adult like a kid playing Duck Hunt, but then I remember that "decimated" actually means "reduced by a power of ten" and it really takes the wind out of my sails.

Anyhow, I was the last adult to succumb to the stomach flu, but it seems to have gathered strength from those before me because it has lasted with me the longest.  Most of the rest of the family were done with most of it in 24 or 36 hours.  Not me ... no, I'm still hanging in there after four days.  And according to my doctor, it could last for up to seven to ten days!  If I eat anything other than the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet, I pay the price.  (Okay, baked potatoes and a little pasta are okay, but that's it!)

I have had more fruit punch Gatorade these last four days than I care to recall, and given the lovely gastrointestinal issues I encountered this morning after a lovely turkey dinner last night I might as well buy stock in the brand.  Oh and here's a fun fact for ya ... eat a banana then drink a bunch of Gatorade and you'll instantly feel like your teeth are wearing sweaters.  It's delightful.

Probably the worst of it, though, is being cooped up.  The kids and I are usually on the go, running errands, visiting people, and the like.  I haven't driven in about a week now (my husband got sick a few days before me so we stayed home to take care of him) and I'm going a little stir crazy!  Baylor seems to be feeling it, too; just yesterday he was practically begging me to just get in "mama's car". 

Sorry this post is such a downer; I try really hard to stay upbeat even during times of discomfort or adversity.  But I have just about had it.  I am a girl who likes her food!  Eating the same thing, day after day, is driving me bonkers.  Especially because there are so many other things to eat in the house!  And I like to get out with the kids, blow off some steam, see other adults who can converse in complete sentences.  Heck, I would even just take a little energy so I can get some stuff done while I'm home-bound.  Instead ...

*sigh*

I should probably take a nap.

No comments: