Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 261

Well, it's another marathon dinner at the Jacques household.  The kids are going on an hour-and-a-half, and Mollie has barely touched her food.  It's infuriating really, the way they jabber on and on, seemingly oblivious to the food in front of them.  When this sort of night happens, and it happens quite frequently, I want to pull my hair out, scream, pout, cry, fall asleep, and a whole other litany of other tantrum-like behaviors.  They take so long because they are chatting with each other, laughing and making up stories, and how do you get them to stop that long enough to put food in their mouths?  At this point I'd be cool with talking with their mouths full if they'd just eatforcryingoutloud!

But, as infuriating as it all is, I will say this: I am so very grateful that they are friends and enjoy each other's company so much.  They laugh and make faces at each other and generally have a great time just chatting with each other.  It could be so much worse; they could hate each other and spend the whole meal screaming and yelling at each other, thus causing dinner to take forever for a much worse reason.

So, tonight I'm grateful that my kids are friends.  So very grateful.

Have a wonderful evening!




P.S.  This does not, in any way, mean that my kids never fight with each other.  On the contrary, they get on each other's nerves at least once a day, oftentimes much more.  But they always end up coming back to enjoying each other's company, and that's what I'm so grateful for.

No comments: