Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cloth Diapering Saga: Part 1

After a TON of research by both myself and my husband, we decided to try cloth prefold diapers with a Thirsties cover for Amalia. So, one lovely Saturday we set forth with both kids in tow to a kids' store, Gumballs and Overalls, in the nearby village of Rockford. Sadly, the knowledgeable store owner wasn't there, but I recalled enough of my previous conversation with her to patch a small trial together.

In all, we purchased three prefolds and one Thirsties cover, size small. Unfortunately, one of the prefolds we bought was a toddler size, obviously far too large for our little Mollie. Here are the goods, pre-washing.


And here they are post-washing! Amazing how a piece of cotton can change after being washed a couple times in hot water.

And here they are on our little lady! She only peed in the first diaper, and our second trial wasn't until days later. In that trial she pooped quite a bit and it snuck around the prefold and got a little on the cover.

My mom and sister happened to be there for the second trial and could tell I was wavering a bit on my grand notion to try cloth diapers. Mom, being a veteran of cloth diapers herself, then made an interesting declaration upon seeing my reaction to changing my first poopy cloth diaper.

She said, "Nicole, I just don't think you're cut out for cloth diapering."

And in my mind, a gauntlet had just been thrown. I can be as stubborn as they come, and my mom thinking I couldn't do it or wasn't "cut out" for it just made me want to do it more. Yes, I still think it is better for the environment and our family's wallet ... there's just extra incentive now to prove people wrong.

Wish me luck because I have a lot of "I told you so" coming my way if I bail!

1 comment:

A Joyful Chaos said...

Best of luck with cloth diapering. I grew up with five younger siblings and my Mom used only cloth diapers. I used them for our oldest child but then for the next two I used disposables and loved them.

I used to use Gerber brand rubberpants to cover the diaper to keep it from leaking over everything else.