Monday, June 21, 2010

Ugh, I Feel Dirty (This Post is About Poop ... You Have Been Warned)

It is a blessed day in a parent's life when their child drops down to an average of one poop a day. It is an even greater day when that daily constitutional can be counted on at a particular time of day. Baylor accomplished these feats long ago; we have known for months that after breakfast he'll probably take a quiet moment to (as I so indelicately put it) "drop a deuce". Every so often he goes number two more than once, but those days are blissfully few and far between.

Because of this, I have decided to put cloth diapers on him only after he does his business for the day. He pooped in a prefold once and, since I am rather new at this cloth diapering thing, I promptly decided to keep him in a disposable until that time of the day had passed.

He did his business today, and after disposing of the stuff quickly and easily with a Pampers diaper, I wrangled him into a prefold and Thirsties cover. All the rest of the morning and midday, he played and ate lunch without a problem, and I was mentally getting ready to take him upstairs to change his diaper and put him down for a nap. We were horsing around a bit while Mollie sleepily looked on, when I playfully laid down on the floor near the couch and pretended to sleep. Baylor, knowing I was awake and that a toy he wanted was on the couch, toddled on over to me and climbed over my head.

It was at that point, with one of his chubby legs on either side of my head, that I realized he had pooped. This, by the way, is not the way you want to find out your son has pooped in his pee-soaked cloth diaper.

*Right about here is where things get a little dicey. Squeamish readers need not plod ahead.*

After promptly changing him into a disposable diaper for his nap, leaving the dirty diaper on the living room floor as contained as possible, getting Mollie situated, and taking Baylor upstairs for his nap, I returned to the living room where the odor of the event was overwhelming. Mollie was a bit upset so I calmed her down again, then set forth to the bathroom to try to get rid of the poo. I know full well that you're not supposed to flush wipes, but I threw caution and all my rules to the wind and used the wipes to get out as much of the squishy stuff as possible.

It was in the middle of all this that I realized Mollie's binky had fallen out and she was quite upset about it. Ugh! Not wanting her to keep Baylor up, I dropped the prefold in the toilet and dashed to the living room to help her find her binky. Once she was properly calmed, I returned to the bathroom where the diaper was just sitting and soaking. It was at this point that I became infinitely grateful for my mom having done the cloth diaper thing with us and having told me all about how she used to do it. Since I don't regularly have to wash off "food poo" (breastmilk poo washes off in the laundry), I don't have one of those handy dandy sprayers they have now, so I ended up repeatedly dunking the diaper in the toilet - just like my mom did. And, as poop had snuck out of the prefold onto the cover around the leg area, I had to clean the cover off with toilet paper.

And now I feel dirty.

Clearly, I am not set up just yet for handling the food poops that are inevitably coming my way, but we'll get there. Just you wait and see!

3 comments:

Mutti/Oma said...

I must say, dear daughter, that you gave me the BEST laugh of the day on this stressful day of packing and getting ready to go on vacation! I had plenty of poopy diapers to handle in my day and don't relish the thought of doing it again. I'm glad you handled it with humor - what more can you do?!

rachel said...

Oh Nicole....I am laughing so hard at work right now. I know it wasn't funny while it was happening but...:)

What an adventure!

Nicole said...

Oh trust me, it was funny! Like my mom said, you have to handle these things with a sense of humor. :o)