Friday, June 11, 2010

Go Green!

Lately, something inside of me has changed. I have an itch, a sudden urge, to protect this Earth of ours. Maybe it's the whole BP thing, maybe it's having two kids and wanting this planet to last as long as possible for them and their progeny, or maybe it's watching our garbage bin fill to the top week after week and finally being sick of it. And I am sick of it.

So I'm working on it, trying to make "Go green!" something I shout in my everyday life, not just at sporting events.

I'll share my efforts with you guys here, in case you are wanting to join me. The cloth diapers were the start. I have a package on the way from an Etsy seller that should go a long ways. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, I have been reading Gift from the Sea to Mollie because she loves grown-up books (or just hearing my voice, I can't tell which) and this one passage struck me and seemed appropriate for today. So here it is, courtesy of Anne Morrow Lindbergh ...

"But it must not be sought for or-heaven forbid!-dug for. No, no dredging of the sea bottom here. That would defeat one's purpose. The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. To dig for treasures not only shows impatience and greed, but lack of faith. Patience, patience, patience is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach-waiting for a gift from the sea."

And to anyone who hasn't read this marvelous book, I highly recommend picking it up.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I feel the same way! Right now I am recycling and I really cut back (well, basically cut out) my meat intake. It's been raining a lot here but as soon as the weather smartens up I'm going to start riding my bike to work too!