Friday, October 1, 2010

ArtPrize Visit

Sorry about the formatting again ... still getting used to this new blogger setup.

Anyhow, we went downtown for ArtPrize this weekend and saw some pretty cool stuff!  For those of you unfamiliar with ArtPrize, it is a public art contest, judged by anyone who wants to participate, both those with trained eyes and more novices.  For a better description than I am providing here, check out the website!

We started off on the GVSU campus and saw some interesting exhibits there.  And I captured what would be my only art pictures of the outing - a bummer, to be sure, but that's what happens when you have small children ... sometimes picture-taking just falls by the wayside.  As you can see, it was a gorgeous day, perfect for strolling around outdoors.


I thought this one was fascinating ... it is called "Death of Venus" and is a take on one of my favorite paintings.


This one was called "The Act of Kissing" - it was a little weird but also really fascinating.

Mollie was asleep at first ...

... and then she wasn't!  But she seemed to enjoy her time walking around outside on the beautiful sunny day.

There was this cool aluminum sculpture that the public was allowed to touch, so after some people finished getting their picture taken by it, I suggested to Baylor that he go over and touch it.  Without hesitation, he dashed towards it, but I soon realized he had no interest in the gorgeous piece of artwork ... he just wanted to push the handicap button to make the door open behind the sculpture!  Ah, the mind of a two-year-old!

That door turned out to be the back entrance to the Grand Rapids Art Museum, so we decided to head in there, enjoy a little elevator ride, and see the ArtPrize exhibits there.  My favorites at the GRAM were Form #8, Double Elephant, and Vision, which actually made it into the top ten!

I would have liked to have seen more, but with the kids naps quickly approaching it was time for us to grab some lunch at Subway and scoot on home.  I am so glad I got to see ArtPrize this time around, though, and hope to make another trip downtown to see more of the top ten.  If you are in or near the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, I highly recommend attending this unique event, either this year or in years to come! 

No comments: