Monday, October 11, 2010

An Open Letter to Baylor and Amalia

In each of my kids' baby books there is a place for the mom to include a letter to her child (there's one for the dad, too - no worries).  Ever since Baylor was born, I have been trying to figure out what to write to him, then to Amalia ... and I finally figured it out.  I thought I'd share it with you.  Hope you like it!

Dear kiddos,

There are many things I want for you in this life, some of which I can't even articulate.  Obviously I want for you health, happiness, and love, but I feel like those are the broad strokes of life.  There are other things I want for you, more specific things that I want you to reach for, be, and embrace. 

These are those things.

Kindness above all; to be kind is everything.

Be stewards of the earth; we only have one and we should all do our part to keep it healthy.

Speaking of health, be good to your body.  It can take you a long way if you take care of yourself.

Live life with joy in your heart.  Find happiness in the everyday.

Patience is indeed a virtue ... apply it liberally.

Don't let people walk all over you, and don't walk all over other people.

Live simply.  Try to surround yourself with only the people and things you love.

Cultivate a love of reading and writing ... there are no greater outlets or escapes.

Do good, be good - not because you'll get something out of it (e.g., money, fame, a spot in heaven) but because it is just plain the right thing to do.

These are the things I want for you, my little miracles.

Love always,

Mama

No comments: