Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Nic's Enchiladas

Yeah, I made my own enchilada recipe ... pretty nifty, huh?  I almost felt competent in the kitchen today, and it was lovely.

Anyhow, my husband loves all Mexican food, but enchiladas are some of his favorites.  I decided to try my hand at them, not really having any recipe to go off of.  I did a lot of searching online and couldn't really find one that incorporated all the ingredients I already had, so I just made it up as I went along. 

The result?  I thought they were delicious, and my husband's only request is that I try using corn tortillas next time; his mom uses them in her recipe and he likes the taste of them better than the whole wheat ones I used.

So, without further ado ...

Nic's Enchiladas

Makes: 8 enchiladas
Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, diced
15.5 oz. can mild chili beans (undrained)
1 cup Mexican (taco) cheese (divided)
8 whole wheat 8" tortillas
2 cans (10 oz. each?) enchilada sauce of your desired heat

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions.  Drain then return to the skillet.  Add chili beans and a scant 1/4 cup cheese.  Cook covered on low for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Assemble the enchiladas by placing a line of meat in the middle of each of the 8 tortillas, folding the right side in, then the left, and securing the rolled tortilla with a toothpick.  (I had a good picture of this, but blogger hates me and wouldn't let me upload my pictures.)

Place the enchiladas into a greased cooking dish; I wish I could tell you what size to use, but I totally goofed and ended up having to use three 9"x 9" dishes.  It worked out okay, though, as my husband likes his food pretty spicy and I was planning on using two different heats of enchilada sauce anyway. 

Spoon the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas; you probably shouldn't use all of both cans, unless you want it to be really moist.  This is probably a personal preference issue.  Do what you like.

Then, take the remaining cheese and sprinkle it over the center of  the enchiladas.  (Again, I had a really good picture of this, but blogger is being stupid.)

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Enjoy!

I hope you like these as much as I did.  They really were quite tasty and had a lot of flavor!  Ole!

No comments: