Sunday, September 23, 2012

Baylor's First Day of Preschool!!!

After missing his introduction to preschool and his first real day of school, Baylor finally got to go on Monday, September 10th.  Decked out in his solar system t-shirt and light up fire truck shoes, he was excited to go.



Nothing can get a kid excited quite like finally getting to use a new backpack.


Complete with Lego luggage tag!  (It's the red thing hanging near his shoulder.)


My mom stayed back with Mollie so I could focus my attention on Baylor, and I was so glad she was able to help out.  (Thanks again, Mom!)

At school, he stood outside the car and admired his Lego two-pocket folder while I tried to get another good picture of him.


We walked to the door to wait for the teacher to welcome them in ... and his nerves kicked in.  He wanted to hold my hand, and I wanted to hold back the tears.  My baby was going to school.


Once he got inside, we deposited his folder in the folder bin, hung his backpack, hat, and coat on his hook (his symbol - since most preschoolers can't yet read - is a monarch butterfly ... I just love it!), and found his name on the cluster of tables in the middle of the room.  Table time that morning consisted of a different puzzle for each kid, and - as luck would have it - Baylor was not thrilled with the one he got.  So much so that he didn't want to sit down.  (It was also, likely, that he didn't want to sit so close to another kid, but that's preschool, kiddo!)  Eventually, I got him to sit down, gave him a hug, and left as quickly as I could.  I had to make a quick stop in the office to pay for preschool; they probably thought I was a nut job as I barely talked, but it was because I was desperately trying to hold back tears.  Halfway to my car I began sobbing; I knew he was okay, but he looked nervous so I was worried.  And I was going to miss him like crazy.  Thankfully, I had to go grocery shopping immediately afterward so I was forced to dry my eyes ... less I end up looking like a hormonal lunatic.

The best part of the whole day was that he loved it!  He loves school.  I can't even say it without smiling.

On Wednesday, we both felt a little more comfortable and a little more prepared.  Mollie, on the other hand, did not.  She did not like going to school with me to drop her brother off; she wanted to stay with him and play.  Going home felt weird without Baylor, so she and I went out and did a little shopping.  We were going to go to Toys R Us to get a gift for Mollie to give to Baylor at his party and to scope out the dollhouse gear. Of course, they didn't open until 9:30, so we drove over to the Hallmark where I used to work to kill some time and get him a card.  And of course, they don't open until 9:00, so we stood outside and waited for the doors to open.


Mollie posed for me in her sassy little outfit and we hugged and snuggled until 9:00.


We chose some cards, chatted with the clerk, and then headed to Toys R Us where Mollie and I picked out a Lego mining set for Baylor.  Mollie was a little mopey the whole time; when I asked her why, she told me she missed Baylor.  I'm so glad they like each other enough to miss one another even at this age!  Soon enough we picked him up and headed home.

It's taking a while to get used to, especially the getting-up-early party, but we're quickly becoming accustomed to our new normal.

No comments: