Monday, September 24, 2012

Haircuts: Be Like Baylor!

I had planned to get Baylor's hair cut before he went to school, or at least before his birthday on the 7th, but illness kept us at home and then school threw us off a bit.  Finally, one day after school, I pulled the trigger and took the kids to get their hair cut.  Mollie and I talked about it beforehand, since she really didn't need a cut, but she was adamant that she wanted one ... in fact, she said she wanted it cut "short".  When asked how short, she told me she wanted it like Baylor's.  *sigh*  I tried to convince her otherwise, even employing Oma to plead the case, but it was to no avail; she wanted her hair cut super short.

When we got to the salon (if you can call Snip Its a "salon"), I told the hair stylist what Mollie wanted.  The poor woman raised her eyebrows and looked a bit nervous at the thought, so we were thrilled when Baylor decided he wanted to go first and bought us a little more time to figure out what to do with Miss Mollie.  Here's the before ...



We left Baylor's hair a little longer than we had been doing in the summer; it mostly just needed to be thinned out a bit and trimmed around the edges.  So in no time at all, it was Mollie's turn.  She was still resolute in her opinion that she should get her hair cut as short as Baylor (or Grandma Paula ... she was another option), so the stylist decided to just cut off a bunch of the length and see if Mollie would be okay with that first before we started hacking away at it.


She took it all the way up to Mollie's little cheeks, and, luckily, my little lady was happy with the new length.  Yay!


Once we had a length, the stylist gave it some shape and thinned it out a lot so it would lay nicely.  With the cutting finished, Mollie got to have her hair blown dry like Aunt Christine!


Baylor, less than amused by all the antics, watched the Snip Its video.


Her little cut ended up being very cute, in my opinion, and she seemed to like well enough, though I don't think she thought it was short enough.


At home, she decided to dress up her new look a bit with some barrettes and bows.  Go big or go home, right, Amalia?



Here's Baylor's cut ... nice and clean but not too short.  I find that the shorter it gets, the more grown up he looks, and with him in school now I feel the need to keep him my little boy for as long as possible.  This will all go by so quickly as it is, no need to rush it.


I have a feeling this hair cutting experience is a little window into the future; as strong-willed as Mollie is, I foresee her having a lot of opinions on how she wants to look, whether Mommy likes it or not.  Love that little girl!  And love her easy-going brother!

No comments: