Friday, September 7, 2012

Happy Fourth Birthday, Baylor!

My dearest Baylor, happy fourth birthday!  I just wanted to tell you how much of an impact you've had on my life and the lives of those around you.  I wanted you to know that you are a delight and have been since you were born.  




Everyone was waiting for you with such excited anticipation.


And then you arrived, all full in the cheeks and perfectly adorable.

You turned someone into a father, turned two people into grandparents of a grandson.





You turned two people into grandparents for the first time and one girl into an aunt.






And we all fell in love.

Life isn't perfect, dear son; the best of times can often be coupled with such incredible sadness.  The day before you were born my uncle died, and his passing left a hole in a lot of hearts in our family.  Then you came along and did your best to mend it.












You spent precious mornings with your grandma while I took a shower and got ready for the day.  The look in her eyes while she watched you sleep spoke nothing less than pure love.




At one month you started to smile, really smile, and from then on you charmed us and brought joy with you wherever you went.








Before you were born, when the idea that you were a boy was just an inkling in my heart, I wondered how I could mother a boy when I hadn't had any real experience with little boys.  It wasn't always perfect, but you and I were both new at this so we worked on it together, side by side all the way.










Even in your first year, we could see the spark of curiosity within you.  That spark has ignited an amazing flame now that you are four, and it is exciting to imagine where it could take you.






Then one morning in July I peed on a stick and everything changed; you were getting a sibling much earlier than expected.  You were the first person I told, and the only person who really had no idea what it all meant.  The normal we'd made was going to change forever in nine short months, and while I was excited about our impending arrival, I was worried I hadn't given you enough time with just me.










When your little face arrived at the hospital to meet your sister, I felt a loss for you.  My heart wept.





But back then I couldn't have seen what we gave you: a forever friend.











You began to cultivate your love of elevators after riding the elevator to visit me in the hospital.  In the years since, you've become a veritable elevator connoisseur.

























(I wish I could narrate every picture, pour over every detail, include all the pictures I love so dearly.  But time and space prohibit it.)

Baylor, I am the luckiest mom on earth to have you for a son.  I hope you never forget that and hold it dear in your heart.  I love you forever and ever, little man.  Happy, happy birthday!

Always,

Mom

No comments: