Saturday, September 29, 2012

Running Again!

So, thanks to my wonderful parents (Hi, Mom and Dad!) I am running again; they have loaned me their treadmill so I can figure out if I like running inside on a machine as much as I like running outside.  It's certainly not the same, obviously.  There is no gorgeous scenery around me; the unfinished side of our basement is not what I would call "relaxing" or even "inspiring".  And the scenery doesn't even change; I am not loving staring at a giant pile of empty boxes.  (You need a lot when Christmas rolls around, okay?)  But those things are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and I really do enjoy running, inside or outside.

So, running is good.  And I'm back at it again, which is even better.  I actually ran two miles today!  I couldn't do that in high school; eking out one mile was painful for me back then and I usually ended up on the sidelines hoping I wouldn't puke in front of my classmates and that my inhaler would just kick in already!  But now I know how to get rid of a side cramp (drink water and breathe deeply), and running feels good even without my inhaler.

Looking a gift horse in the mouth, though, (as so many of us do, right?) I wish I was in better shape.  I can run two miles as fast as this guy:



image from fitbomb.com

That's the character Andy Dwyer from Parks and Recreation on NBC.  (Hilarious show, by the way!)  Last week he started to train to join the police academy, and his first goal was to run two miles in 25 minutes or less.  His first attempt:  28 minutes.  That is exactly how long it took me to run two miles today.  *sigh*  I shouldn't care, right?  I mean, I can run two miles!  That's awesome.  But I would love to be even more fit.  Also, I used the little pulse reader on the handle of the treadmill, and it said my pulse was an even 184 bpm.  That can't be good, right?  I hope it was wrong.  (And now, after looking at ehow.com, I am REALLY hoping it was wrong as it shouldn't be over 120.)

So I have a little work to do.  But I am glad that I'm working on it!  Life is a journey, and getting and staying healthy is the same ... there is no end to it.  (Especially if you think about it ... I'm running on a treadmill.  I'm literally getting nowhere.)

Anyway, here's to good health!

No comments: