Monday, January 19, 2009

A Beautiful Dream

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and in honor of this great man and the ideals he stood for, I thought it appropriate to talk about his most famous speech. I reread it today, and feel that, as silly as it sounds, I have seen it with new eyes. Read it for yourself at: http://www.usconstitution.net/dream.html

It is a beautiful speech, eloquent yet simple in its message ... freedom for everyone. Doesn't that seem basic? Essential, even? As we inaugurate our first African American president tomorrow (how awesome is that?!), we can physically see the progress we have made as a country. And though we have come a long way since Dr. King's time, I know we aren't there yet. There are still injustices and inequalities that abound in our society for all sorts of "different" people.

In a very small attempt to keep us on a path to greater freedom and equality, I am going to start a new tradition today with my son. Every year on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I am going to read to him (or, eventually, have him read to me) the "I Have a Dream" Speech. It is an excellent reminder of what this country was built on, what it has been through, and what it should strive towards.

No comments: