Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Nap: 1 Mom: 0

Wow, yesterday was rough! I had so many things I wanted to get done around the house (and didn't), and my son only took about three 15 minute naps ... not enough for him at all. By the end of the day, his little eyes were rimmed in red and were all puffy from exhaustion. And yes, it broke my heart to see him that way.


It's not like I didn't try to get him to nap. I did. We tried so hard. But whether it was gas or being overtired or something else entirely, something kept him from getting to sleep. I'd put him down in his nice dark room, pretty close to sleep after a nice feeding, then BAM ... about ten seconds later he'd be awake and crying. Not just the moaning he does sometimes to get himself to sleep. Full on crying. At one point, I'll admit, I ended up crying. It broke my heart to see him so tired and yet so completely unable to sleep. I'll also admit that I was exhausted myself and just needed a minute not to be holding or trying to entertain an 18 pound baby.


Being a mom is hard work, a lot harder than anyone gives mothers credit for. But even on days like yesterday, I still love it; seeing him smile at me and getting to help him become the man he'll eventually be is a hugely rewarding job.

No comments: