Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Merry Christmas (belatedly) and Happy New Year!

If I thought last year's holiday season was hectic working at Hallmark, it was NOTHING compared to Christmas with an infant. And in a crappy economy.

My husband and I decided to cut back a little on our gift budget this year, particularly on gifts for each other. Only $30 to find the perfect gift for the man in my life. Whoa. I thought about a blanket that he and our son could snuggle under, but we have a ton of blankets already. I thought about a journal he could write in to tell our son about life, but my dad said that was too girly. Go figure.

Then I thought of it ... the perfect gift idea. A wall calendar for his office with new pictures of our son in it. AND, to top it all off, I decided to dress the poor child up for each month. Not a bad idea if you have a lot of time, a child who could hold his head up (or sit up), or extra money for costumes. I had a week and a half, a three month old baby, and about $23 (I spent a little on stocking stuffers on Black Friday).

But I did it. No, that's not fair - WE did it. Me, my son, my mom, my sister, and my dad all pulled it together at the last minute. From sledding outside in January to Santa in December, the calendar turned out great (if I do say so myself). Of course, when it arrived EVERY SINGLE PAGE WAS RIPPED at the bottom. Sooo not cool.

Bless my sister's heart, seeing how over-stressed I was by this snafu and all the other gifts I had to think about buying, she contacted the complaint department at Shutterfly and quick as can be they had a new one to us and allowed us to keep the damaged one. Gotta love Shutterfly!

Come our Christmas (we had five of them this year - us, Maxey 1, Jacques 1, Jacques 2, and Maxey 2), my husband was surprised and seemed to love it. The goal for every gift, if you ask me.

Incidentally, he got me something I've been waiting for for over three years ... our wedding photo album. He looked through my notes on the one that should have been made (our photographer went bankrupt before we could get our album) and made me a beautiful album on Shutterfly, complete with a black leather cover. Love it.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sweet! That is so cute and crafty! I'm glad you guys had a merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I my goodness. Great minds must think alike. My mom had bought holiday outfits for Ellie as one of my shower gifts from her. So I made her a calendar of Ellie wearing each of the outfits she had bought and gave it to her for Christmas.

P.S. Your ornament idea was great too. You should mention that too. It was so thoughtful. Thank you.