Monday, January 19, 2009

Mommy vs. The Nap


Yeah, we're having trouble with naps. (Incidentally, it's also probably why we're having trouble sleeping through the night ... apparently sleep begets more sleep.) My son appears to be a cat-napper - stealing half-an-hour to hour-long naps throughout the day whenever he can. Problem is, at least in terms of napping, the little guy is as curious as they come. He can't stop looking around, checking out what is going on with everything and everyone, and in the end it keeps him from basically getting bored enough to fall asleep. Sadly, then, we come back to the "crying it out" scenario in his crib ... and quite frankly it pains me to let him do it.

So, on days like today when he has fallen asleep in his car seat, I find myself staring at him in the living room, sleeping ever-so-soundly in his car seat. Yes, he's probably sweating buckets (the fabric doesn't breathe overly well) and he's not lying flat, but at least he's sleeping, right?

Right?

(sigh)

Well, either way, I doubt it will harm him irreparably or scar him for life if he takes a few naps in his car seat. He is able to sleep in his crib at night, and it's good for him to be able to sleep in different places with varying degrees of light and noise around. He won't always be guaranteed a pitch black nursery, soothing white noise (from his ceiling fan), and comfortable crib.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the giggling too. And I understand your frustration. We too are having the same problems. Ellie wakes up at night and if I give her a pacifier she goes right back to sleep. I don't know what to do. Plus napping, sometimes she does sometimes she doesn't. It is hard, but you are doing a great job. Just look at the beautiful bably boy. You are a good mom!