Friday, April 9, 2010

An Ephiphany on My Stubbornness

As I was getting ready for bed tonight, I had an epiphany about why I am so incessantly stubborn. Aside from being genetically predispositioned to it (thanks, Mom!), I also have an underlying need to be self-sufficient.

Let me explain.

I think, in the back of my mind, I am always waiting for the bottom to drop out, for the next person to leave me hanging. I don't know why I feel this way, but I do. So, in my stubbornness, I am teaching myself to be self-sufficient, to know that - should someone/something not come through for me - I can do it myself. No problems. No worries. I have it down because I've stubbornly done it before without any help.

In short, I insist on doing things for myself to show myself that, quite simply, I can.

No comments: