Saturday, April 3, 2010

Newborn Days vs. Toddler Days

Days with a newborn are so incredibly different than days with a toddler. I forgot how much they sleep, how their only real times awake are when they want food or a clean diaper. As I write this, Amalia is asleep on my lap, her little legs curled up by my stomach, and Baylor is outside having a ball with my dad.

I know my therapist told me not to think too far into the future, allowing all my thoughts and worries to pile up on my shoulders, but I can't help it at this moment. How on earth do you combine the whirlwind of activity that comes with toddler days with the sleepy comfort of newborn days? How am I supposed to chase after Little B with a sleeping Amalia on my shoulder? How will I get him outside to run and play like he should be able to?

This is just one of the logistical questions I have regarding caring for two children. My head is swirling with millions more.

Deep breath, Nicole. Deep breath.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I feel for you. It is hard.

That is that.

Your therapist is right, take it one day at a time. I have SERIOUSLY slowed down my life this year. I made some decisions about what was crucial to get done every day and I did just that. So, all I do is unpack the dishwasher and do a load of laundry a day. If I manage to do anything else, it's a bonus.

My husband also cooks for me in the weekends and we freeze the food, so I just make rice and salad to go with dinner. My house looks like a disaster and I struggle with that, but my sanity is more important to my family than a clean house. If I do more, I will burn out, so I don't. (Even though, sometimes I do!)

You know from experience that the first year is HARD, so luckily you have perspective with that one.

It will take a while to find a new rhythm because your whole family has changed. Just take it as that. It will be hard for Little B. But he will get through it. And you have a lovely, new little soul to bond your family together.

These times go by so quickly. Enjoy them for what they are. You will get through this. One day at a time. Xavier is almost 11 months old and a lot of how we got here is a blur, but we have made it and every day is easier.

Blessings being sent your way.
xxx.