Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Little Grunting Lady

I really wanted to do a photo post about the new double stroller we got the other day or just post some pictures of the kids for y'all to see, but my camera and cord are downstairs and I'm still trying to restrict myself to once down/once up a day.

So, I'll post about what's going on right now instead. Lucky you.

Right now, my sweet little daughter is grunting in her crib. She is awake, as far as I know, and is grunting loud enough for me to hear it across the hall. This has been happening for the last several nights and I don't know what to do about it. I want to feel good about putting her in her crib awake, since I know you're supposed to do that and all, but she's awake so rarely through the day that I feel I'm squandering a chance to stimulate her brain. And I think she's more awake than she should be; I always remember putting Baylor down awake yet VERY drowsy, and she does not seem drowsy in the slightest.

Every once in a while, she gets really quiet for a minute or two which gets me thinking that she's asleep, only to have her start grunting again. It's moments like this that I really wish we had one of those video monitors so I could see what in the world she's doing without having to go in there and disturb her (since, in my mind, babies have a shark-like sense of smell and can catch even the most faint whiff of their mothers - I know she might not be able to see me, but I am convinced she can smell me).

What to do? What to do?

I so want her to be a good sleeper like her brother is, but right now I'm feeling like a total rookie at this mom-at-night thing. Plus, I have the added concern that she is going to wake the little man up, so I probably rush in there earlier and more often than I should. (And don't even talk to me about when we're eventually going to have to let her cry it out ... the thought of two kids awake and crying in the middle of the night is a little more than I can handle right now, in my exhausted state.)

Speaking of which, I should go to bed. Maybe if I turn out my light and set a good example, the little lady will follow suit and quiet down.

Maybe.

1 comment:

Shan said...

She is still so little...I would go get her but, that is just me. :-/
Of course, I am the kind of mom that lets baby sleep with me for the first 6-8 weeks of life and then moves them to their bed in my room...and THEN moves them into their own room. But, I am a sucker. LOL

You just have to remember that every child is different and, even if you do the exact same thing with each one, they are still all going to sleep differently.
My 3 year old (and child #3) is a light sleeper and he doesn't need as much sleep as his sister (child #1) or brother (child #2) did at his age.

Just relax and enjoy infant time. It goes SO fast.

Just my two cents...take 'em or leave 'em. :)