Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mollie's First Movie

Remember how I said I wanted to see the movie Babies when the trailer came out last November? Well, the movie did come to a theater near us! But since I had a new baby of my own, getting to the theater was a bit more of a challenge. I had a chance to see it with a bunch of other mothers a while ago, but I got sick and couldn't go.

So, when my mom suggested that we take Mollie with us, I thought, "Why not?!"

And we did.

She sat in her car seat in the seat between us, and as the trailers played we passed popcorn over her.


And then the movie started, and she started crying. Which means I saw one whole minute of the movie.

Yup, one minute.

The other 78 minutes were spent trying desperately to get her to sleep so I could sneak back in. I tried nursing her, standing up, in an out-of-order stall in the bathroom, but that is possibly the worst place to nurse a baby if you want him/her to go to sleep; with every flush and every burst of the hand dryers she jerked away from me to see what in the world was going on.

When that didn't work, we walked the halls of the theater, looking at pictures of Cary Grant, Veronica Lake, Roy Rodgers, Brad Pitt, and Denzel Washington. People commented here and there at the cute baby and whatnot, and an elderly gentleman even commented to his wife when he thought they were out of earshot, "That baby isn't going to sleep anytime soon."

*sigh*

My mom popped out a couple times; once while I was in the bathroom trying to nurse Mollie, and the other soon thereafter. She insisted she switch places with me, but the movie was already half over and I thought at least one of us should see the whole thing. After much debate, she lost the battle and went back in to enjoy the movie.

About twenty minutes before the movie ended, I had a hot and sweaty baby sleeping in my arms. But since I had missed most of the movie anyhow, I stayed out in the hallway with her so she could get some sleep.

Yeah, I missed the movie. But I got to spend time with my baby, which is more than some can say, right?

No comments: