Monday, July 26, 2010

"On T.V.!"

As Baylor grows up and starts really expressing himself verbally, I'm starting to realize that we can't just let him watch whatever we watch on television anymore. Though we don't watch much television, mostly sports and the lineup on Thursday on NBC when we can, something that happened this weekend has shown me that the little man is absorbing what he watches. Whoa.

After a lovely meal out and some time playing with Oma and Grandpa E's toys, Baylor got to enjoy a little ice cream. The rest of us had some too, and Bryson decided to stick a cookie in his for good measure. Seeing what his daddy did, Baylor decided that would be a good idea for him, too!

He even tossed aside his spoon and started scooping his ice cream out with the cookie! Does this kid know how to party, or what?!

Then he did something perplexing. He asked for one of the tomatoes he helped my dad pick outside. And he promptly ate it, much like you'd eat an apple.


As the juices were dripping down his chin, he proclaimed, "On t.v.!" We all looked at each other and scratched our heads. And then it dawned on me.


Earlier in the day we had watched an episode of Sesame Street where Jimmy Fallon plays Wild Nature Survivor Guy. At one point during the episode, he tackles one of Leela's tomato plants and ravenously eats a tomato ... just like the little man did!


I'm thankful that this first real concrete instance of him learning something directly from television was something positive (he can eat all the tomatoes he wants as far as I'm concerned), but now I realize how much more cognizant I have to be about what he sees on the boob tube. The only television we actually sit down to watch together is Sesame Street, and we watch a maximum of one episode a day. I turn into a zombie when I watch television and I can see it happening in him as well, so I want to keep all that couch potato-ing to a minimum.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen Sesame Street in a while, check out one of my favorite segments here. I just love Murray and his little lamb! And his rap theme song is hilarious!

No comments: