Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Apples to Apples"

Baylor read for the first time today!  Like all by himself, no prompting ... utterly spontaneous.  He was leaning over the back of my parents' couch.  The game Apples to Apples was on the table behind the sofa.  All of a sudden he pointed to a word and said, "Apples."  All our mouths hung open.  My dad hurried over to him and pointed to the word again.  He said, "Yeah," his current word for "I know it/I don't know it/I won't say".  We encouraged him a little and he said, "Apples."  Then my dad pointed to the next word and Baylor said, "to."  Then, "Apples."

It was truly amazing.  I am beyond proud of him!

Lest you think he is perfect, though, I'll share this nugget with you ... as we were putting him to bed tonight, he stuck a long, wadded-up string up his nose.  Not far enough that we couldn't get to it, but any string up the nose isn't a good idea.

But he READ!  Sorry, too proud to contain it!

No comments: