Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas with Two Kids: Christmas Eve Upheaval


Christmas Eve most certainly did not go as planned this year.  Days after he first spilled, Baylor ended up with a morning bout of diarrhea.  Two bouts, actually.  And with us scheduled to celebrate Christmas Eve with his cousins, we decided to hold him back for the festivities.  Since we only live three doors down from my mother- and father-in-law, my husband and I would be able to switch midway through the celebration so we'd both be able to see everyone.

I took the first shift with Baylor.  He stayed in his pajamas all day after the morning incidents, and he really seemed to enjoy it.  In fact, other than the unpleasantness of the earlier hours, he seemed like his usual self.  But, since we didn't know what was going on with him, we thought it best to err on the side of caution and keep the other kids from the crud.

So Baylor and I took pictures.  He took pictures of himself, I took pictures of him taking pictures of himself.



"Man, that flash is bright!"


It even made him go cross-eyed a little at one point!


He mixed things up a little with the Kenmore mixer his Aunt Christine got for him for Christmas.


Then he enjoyed Mama's special peanut butter and banana toast for Christmas Eve dinner.  It was delicious!


Then he took a few more pictures of himself.


After dinner we decided we needed to make some cookies for Santa, so I started whipping up a batch of sugar and spice cookies.  Baylor smelled all of the ingredients to make sure they were of proper delicious proportions.  Then I got a call from Bryson saying Mollie was breaking down and needed her Mama.  So he ran home, and I ran over to my in-laws a la Tom-Cruise-in-damn-near-every-movie-he's-ever-been-in.  Then my mother-in-law informed me my husband forgot the parcel of food she'd packaged up for him for dinner and could I run it back to our house because Mollie was doing okay.  Sure.

(Insert picture of me running back like Tom Cruise again, only wearing winter boots, a winter coat, fingerless mitten/gloves, and an adorable hat.)

By the time I got back to our house I was huffing and puffing and having some interesting chest pains.  But I was okay.  Then I jogged back to my in-laws.  (So sad to think that Tom Cruise is in such better shape than I am ...) And there I found sweet Mollie sobbing at the top of her lungs.

*sigh*

She'd gotten herself so worked up that she wouldn't stop crying unless I was holding her, so hold her I did.  I got her into her high chair for a couple minutes to feed her some more dinner and to scarf some down myself, but she soon tired of that and just wanted to be held by me.  Then the kids got down to play, and my mother-in-law asked to have Baylor come over.  So she called my husband, he dressed the poor boy in a ridiculous green flannel shirt/maroon pants getup, and they made their way on over.

Sadly, for all of this fun, I didn't have my camera.  So there aren't any pictures from the rest of Christmas Eve.  But I can tell you that we all had a lovely time.  Ooh, and my sister-in-law brought some delicious Oreo bonbons that I couldn't get enough of!

Oh, and when we got back home I found that my husband had completed baking ALL of the cookies for Santa and they were DELICIOUS!  Flat, but delicious.  (As it turns out, if you have baking soda that is several years expired, your cookies will be flat as pancakes.  Interesting.)

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas Eve!  (Yes, I realize it is way past Christmas Eve, but I'm just getting around to posting this now.  Bear with me, it's been a long couple days, peeps!)

(Yes, I just said, "Peeps!"  I'm good for a chuckle, what can I say?)

No comments: