Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010: A Relative Success

Our table was all set ... this was going to be our first time hosting Thanksgiving.  First time cooking a turkey, first time timing the stuffing and the mashed potatoes and everything else.  Whew!  My parents, sister, and mother- and father-in-law were set to come over (my sister-in-law and her kids were going to come but canceled because of threatening weather).  My husband was charged with cooking the turkey and making the gravy, and I was taking care of the mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce (yes, I can open a can with the best of them!). 

The day started off a little rocky, as my husband quickly found out that the bird was most certainly still frozen; so he decided to chip away at the giant chunk of ice inside the bird with a pair of scissors.  




Then he ran some cool water in the cavity ... ugh.


I worked on dishes so we wouldn't have a ton to do after dinner.  I wore this so I wouldn't get my beautiful sweater dirty, but I ended up wearing this all day ... just lovely.


Mollie thoroughly enjoyed her first Thanksgiving; she always likes watching us rush around and I made sure to be goofy for her here and there so she wouldn't get bored.  Baylor went over to my in-laws early in the day, then I took him to my parents' for play and lunch.


Then we got a call ... my father-in-law had been taken to the hospital for high blood pressure and generally feeling unwell - ordinarily that wouldn't be a reason for a trip to the ER, but there is a family history of heart attacks and he had shoulder surgery earlier in the week so he decided to go to be checked out.  Two more down for dinner.  (He ended up being fine, and we were able to have a second Thanksgiving with them the next day with the leftovers.)

We made the most of our time together, though ... my dad even went so far as to enjoy a cup of hot mulled cider, something he never does - since he usually doesn't like hot drinks.


Mollie charmed us all, as usual.


We enjoyed good food and laughter.


Baylor napped through the first part of dinner and was a little cranky when he first got up.



Mollie slept through the first part of dinner, too, but she was much more lively than her brother.


Mom chatted with her sister on the phone once dinner was through.


And after letting our dinner settle a little, we enjoyed some pumpkin pie and apple pie, both lovingly made by my mom.


And, of course, more snuggling.


While we watched football (can't quite understand how this got to be a tradition, but whatever), my sister knitted furiously trying to finish up my mom's hat for tree cutting festivities.


And Baylor pretended the fireplace was a dart board.  First you have to turn it on.


Then you can put some darts into it.


At halftime, we switched channels and found A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!  Baylor had never seen it before and needless to say he was mesmerized.  (To be fair, though, he usually watches television like this ... as do I.)


Mollie thought it was pretty nifty, too.


My mom makes the best apple pie around ... doesn't it look positively delicious?!


Sorry this took so long to post; I had a bit of trouble with blogger this week and Baylor has been sick with a cold, so my time has been more limited than usual.

To those who helped make this Thanksgiving warm and wonderful, thank you!  To those who were unable to attend, we are glad you are healthy and safe!  Hope your Thanksgivings were wonderful as well!

No comments: