Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010: A Trip Back in Time

Every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we head over to the other side of the state to have Thanksgiving with my husband's side of the family.  Everyone congregates at Bryson's grandparents' house and let me tell you, their home is a blast from the past!  Stepping into their house is like stepping into a time machine.  Each nook and cranny was decorated with love and care ... in the '70s.



Seriously, every nook and cranny.


The wallpaper is awesome and mesmerizing.


And they always manage to have a place for whomever can attend.


We actually got to sit at the head table last year!  I know, it was a total honor.


As you look around, nostalgia sets in ... a longing for a time when unique details meant something.


How is it possible that their original carpet looks better than our carpet which is easily twenty to thirty years younger?!  And this chair ... immaculate.  Amazing.


I'll just let you take in the kitchen.


Yup, that's a rotary telephone.


They even have old toys from when their kids were little!  This dog has "Snoopy" written on the collar ... this dog could be what inspired Charles Schultz!  And Baylor pet it ... it was adorable.


I tell ya, like stepping back in time.


I was so hoping Baylor would notice this window was an octagon!  Not something you see every day, you know?


My father-in-law got to play with one of his old toys ... no, seriously.


Baylor pretended to play the organ for a large portion of the day.


This wallpaper was awesome and totally reminded me of the wallpaper in Willy Wonka you could lick.  I'm pretty sure this wallpaper is just for looking ... pretty sure.


Mollie was a bit overwhelmed by the number of unfamiliar people around so she wanted me all ... day ... long.  Whew!


She let Bryson change her diaper ... kinda.


Here's the study ... want a book?


Isn't she adorable?


Baylor was actually bested by the old-school light switches ... I'm pretty sure they're original to the house.  It's awesome.


All the food is served buffet-style.  Which meant Baylor could sneak a cookie or cracker whenever he wanted it.


That is, when he wasn't sidling up to Lydia to watch her play on her personal game system.  He was practically snuggling with her at one point ... my boy loves a girl with electronics.


Mollie finally went to Bryson toward the end of the evening.  Thank goodness!  I love my girl, but it's hard to eat dinner when you have an eight month-old squirming on your lap.


Baylor loved these old books and totally wanted me to read him some Ptolomy.  I respectfully declined.


Baylor also loved going up to visit Grandpa Allan, who was laid up in his bedroom with back trouble.  Little B snooped in his night stand and played with their second rotary phone.  He got the hang of it pretty quickly ... which was kinda awesome to see.


I may boggle at the decor, but the love felt in this house is immeasurable.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: