Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sleepy Battle

Well, I have no idea what to say. The past few days have been frustrating with my son, in terms of his sleeping habits anyways. Yesterday he was out of sorts but took two half hour naps. The three days prior he was in good spirits but took basically NO NAPS, much to my chagrin and in spite of all my efforts.

And then there is last night/today. We put him down at around 11:30 p.m. last night and he is still sleeping now at 8:09 a.m.!! I am not sure what to make of it. And I have no idea what I did right, which stinks because I have no idea if I'll be able to replicate this lovely night of sleep for him.

Also, we're thinking of trying to put him to bed earlier, but previous efforts of this sort have been highly resisted. I have read to try to move bedtime in fifteen minute increments ... has anyone had luck with this?

And does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get my little guy to nap more? Or is it at all possible that he doesn't need to nap because he sleeps up to 12.5 hours at "night"?

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have no experience as a mother, but when I was a baby I was not allowed to take naps because I would only sleep from midnight to 5am. And I turned out fine (depending on who you ask.)

Shan said...

My theory is sleep breeds sleep...
So, the more they nap, the better they sleep at night.

My last 3 kids, for the first year of their life, slept for an hour in the morning, 2-3 hours in the afternoon and 12 hours at night (once they started sleeping through).

I have also noticed that when they are going through a milestone growth spurt (crawling, talking, pulling up, etc...) they sleep less and are harder to get down because they want to try out their new skills.

Consistency is the key. It is not easy, no one said parenting is, but it can be done.

This probably doesn't help but, it is just my thoughts on the subject. :)

Andy, Ariella, Morgan and Gwen Saucier said...

Consistancy is key. Do the same thing every time you try to put him to sleep. We used to give our daughter a bath every night, then bottle and bed. It worked so well, over the summer we gave her a dip in the lake and she was out cold afterwards. But whatever you decide to do, do it everytime. It won't seem like it is working right away but they get it evenually.

Anonymous said...

He probably wants to get on schedule so when Conan comes back on he can watch him. We have been facebooking funny clips back and forth, Baylor thinks he is hilarious.

also...when can the family start training him to become the athlete we all know he will become?