Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas 2009 Part Two!

As many of you know, the Midwest was hit with some difficult weather this holiday season, resulting in the cancellation of some of our usual holiday activities. On the 23rd we did a little scrambling and made new plans, and all-in-all I think things turned out pretty well.

First, we took Little B to the Gardens to see the Christmas tree/winter holiday exhibit. We typically do this every year with my husband's family (parents, grandparents, aunts, etc.) but the grandparents and aunts live far enough away that the driving would be treacherous. So they stayed home, and we went with my in-laws. (Ironically enough, we had originally planned not to go this year because we had switched up some of our usual plans and would be celebrating Christmas with my immediate family. Weird how things work themselves out, isn't it?)

For some reason, every year I am drawn to the Ukraine tree. It is just so fanciful looking.

And yes, it is covered with crystal spiders and faux-cobwebs. I don't know why I like it ... I just do.


My other favorite tree, one much nearer to my heart, is the Japanese tree. My mother-in-law used to be in charge of the Christmas trees (researching the traditions, procuring decorations, and setting them up) at the Gardens, and one year she enlisted me to help make a garland out of origami paper cranes. I learned how to make them then taught a bunch of volunteers how to make them so we could create the 500 or so needed to string around the tree. I probably ended up making about 100 of them myself (with a little help from the hubby), and I love seeing them every year.


She also enlisted me to make a new star for the Japanese tree, and I am proud to say it was still up there this year!


Then we headed over to the toy train they put up every year, and let's just say Baylor enjoyed that ... immensely.


Grandma helped him explore the little model of Grand Rapids made out of natural materials.


Then he and Grandpa got back to the train for some more choo-choo viewing.


We finally made our way to the conservatory, and Little B enjoyed walking around ... staring at his feet and the cobblestone beneath them.


I just love how humid it is in that giant room ... my skin instantly perks up and feels more moist! A welcome respite from the dry skin I get this time of year.
Anyhow, I digress.
We had to keep our eye on the little man since he wasn't watching where he was going. And he isn't used to navigating even gentle hills, so the walk around the conservatory was a bit tricky for him. But, man, he enjoyed the freedom!

Then, the guys checked out some Christmas lights on a palm tree of sorts, after which we headed out.

Once home, we decided to squeeze in our family Christmas before Baylor's nap. It might not have been the best idea since he was already staring to wind down, but it was the best time we could come up with to do it. Little B could have cared less that he got crayons and bath markers, but he was pretty geeked about the giant pad of paper we got for him. Though I think he thought it was just a huge blank book.


He helped pass out gifts a smidge and just generally stood around looking cute.


And then he decided he'd had enough of opening presents, so we broke down and took turns reading him stories.


Needless to say, our Christmas eve morning was a little chaotic, but we got to spend a lot of quality time together and that's what really counts.

No comments: