Monday, December 7, 2009

Mmm ... Monday: Smarter Fettuccine Alfredo

This recipe comes by way of the Kraft Food and Family Magazine. I made it last week, and both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised at how creamy and tasty the sauce is. So much so, in fact, he has requested I make it again this week! Whoa. (For those of you who don't know him as well/at all, my husband is a total Mexican food fan and typically shies away from all things pasta.) So here is the recipe ... check out my notes afterwards for some of the tweaks we plan on making to it!

Smarter Fettuccine Alfredo

8 oz. fettuccine, uncooked
1 1/4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 tsp. flour
1/3 cup Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese Spread
3 Tbsp. Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Cook pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, combine broth and flour in medium saucepan. Stir in cream cheese spread, 2 Tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese, the nutmeg and pepper; cook 2 min., stirring constantly with wire whisk until mixture boils and thickens.

Drain pasta. Toss with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley.

Jazz it up: Garlic lovers can add 1/8 tsp. garlic powder.

Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each.

My notes:

This actually serves two people perfectly, no need for leftovers. Obviously you could double or triple it if you have more people to serve.

We weren't fans of the nutmeg; it kind of overpowered the whole dish and seemed like something that should be left to eggnog. When I make it this week, I am going to leave out the nutmeg and add more garlic, as we are garlic lovers at this house.

I left out the parsley - didn't want to have to buy fresh stuff - and we didn't miss it.

Ooh, and Baylor loved it! He thought it was cheese so he called it as such, but he kept asking for more! It was so cute! He was a giant mess afterwards.

Anyhow, I hope you like it! Enjoy!

No comments: