Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gift Guide: A Few Stocking Stuffers

Depending on how I do finishing up gifts this weekend, this might be my last installment of the gift guide. I had a couple others planned, but I thought I would be done finding/making gifts for people by now. Ah, the best laid plans ...

Anyhow, stocking stuffers!

First up, a nail file. This could literally be for any adult; I know women are typically the recipients of nail files, but this one is so good it could be for anyone (especially if you buy a more gender-neutral color). Crystal nail files, while more expensive than your typical emery board, are amazing little tools to have around your house. They don't dull (at least not nearly as fast as any other nail file I've come across), aren't raspy like metal files, and leave your nails as smooth as can be. They also work amazingly quickly, and if you keep up with it you can file your nails instead of trim then file them ... I've taken to doing this, and I think it has saved me a lot of time. I got mine at Hallmark, but I know lots of places are apt to sell these now; I believe there is even a version sold at Walgreen's.


This next one is great for newlyweds, new homeowners, and the like. It is a self-inking address stamp, and I was so incredibly excited when I got this beauty for Christmas last year (or two years ago ... I forget which). While it is great as a stocking stuffer, this could also be used as a housewarming gift or paired with some beautiful stationary for a friend who loves to send snail mail.

These two books were in our stockings last year, and I know I have consulted mine several times since I've gotten it after having read through it cover to cover on Christmas day. The Mother to Son one has gems in it like "Remember, your encouragement breeds confidence. It always will." and "Don't get in the habit of offering him anything in the world to make him happy, or nothing in the world will." The Father to Son book has pearls like "Don't let him quit out of frustration. He won't learn anything." and "Give him responsibility. It separates boys from men." (They also feature light-hearted fare, but I didn't want you to think it was all fluff.) They also have Mother to Daughter and Father to Daughter versions that I am sure are delightful as well!


Lastly, a pair of winter "cleats" can go a long way to preventing nasty falls that can be so prevalent during the winter season. I got these for my birthday and have kept them on my boots ever since. They would make an excellent stocking stuffer for anyone, especially those of us who have to be extra careful of falling. They look like this when they are off ...


... and like this when they are on.


Now, you do have to be careful when walking on delicate flooring with these bad boys as the cleats could easily scratch some floors, but they are easily removed as the need arises.
I hope my posts about gift ideas have been helpful to you all. While I know they lean toward practicality, sometimes that's just what we need in life. Something to help make life easier ... not necessarily more opulent or elegant. I guess that's just my style.
Anyhow, happy shopping and happy holidays to you all!

No comments: