Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stuff I Love About My Son These Days ...

He loves to do his own little magic show. Lately, his favorite thing to do has been to make his hands disappear into his sleeves. He'll pull one inside, look at you, wait for you to ask where his hand is, show you the one you can still see, then "magically" make other one appear by stretching out his arm. He loves to make cups disappear inside one another, putting up his hands as if to say, "Where did it go?!" And then he does the big reveal with a swift drawback of the bigger cup. What a little showman he is!

He is industrious. Yesterday we went to the store, and I had some things that needed to be taken to the basement the next time I went. I had set them by the basement door, but he wanted to carry them around a bit so he picked up two packages of fruit bowls and carried them around for a while. Then, he picked up a 2 lbs. 10.3 oz. box of Fiber One bars I'd purchased at Costco and moved them closer to the Christmas tree. I don't know why, but he seemed so proud of himself for doing it.

He smiles if you ask him to. It's an adorable big cheesy grin ... and I love every square inch of it.

He is endlessly curious. He wants to see different things, open drawers, pull things back, turn them over, poke at them ... just to figure things out.

He's figuring things out. He knows where his hat goes on his body, his socks, etc. - he can't put them on yet, but he tries so hard! He knows how to buckle himself into his high chair, and does it regularly, and how to buckle the chest buckle on his car seat.

He wakes up every morning with a skinny baby belly. It's like he has magically lost weight over night, waking up all trim and ready for food. Sometimes he sucks in his stomach so he can fully stretch out, and it's amazing how little he starts out his days. It doesn't last long, but it's amazing.

He's learning words and figuring out ways to express himself. He signs words he can't say - "cat" "milk" "again" - and he says words he knows. He knows farm animal sounds and likes going through them with us at the end of the day.

He loves to throw things. I don't love this all the time, but his full-body wind up is so cute I can't even explain it. The other day we bowled with his little bowling set and he was surprisingly accurate; it would have helped even more if he'd stood more than a foot away from the pins.

He loves books and wants them read to him all the time. I wish he'd let me read him the Grinch this year, but I'm sure that'll come eventually. I also wish he'd let me get past the first few pages in some of the books he requests, but that'll come, too.

He likes to count things. We count the lights in the car; he'll point to them and I'll say the numbers. He already gets the number two ... hearing him say it makes me grin wildly.

He hugs. He snuggles. He'll even give you a pat-pat-pat from time to time.

Honestly, most days I feel like the luckiest mom in the world.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Aw your son sounds like the best!

I love that he wants to put on his hat by himself, I have some kindergarten students who want me to do that for them haha