Saturday, February 27, 2010

Names ... Oy

Well, we're having trouble agreeing on and coming up with names for Paco (no, we aren't going to name the kiddo that, Dad ... sorry) so I'm throwing it out to you guys. We need ideas, yes, but we do have some and I'd like opinions on them if you have them.

The middle names have been decided upon. If it's a girl, she'll get my middle name "Jean" - just like my mom and my Great Aunt Marty. If it's a boy, he'll get my mom's maiden name "Cartwright" - Baylor's middle name is "Denney" which is both my husband's middle name and his mom's maiden name.

So, onto first names ...

For the boy's name we really like "Easton". That's all we've got, and we both really like it. It means "east of town" and "outdoorsy". We're not really debating this one, but if you have other boys' names you like feel free to throw them out.

The girls' names are what we're having trouble with.

I like "Vivian/Vivienne", but it reminds Bryson of Pretty Woman so he associates the name with a hooker. I like it because it's beautiful but can be shortened into something spunkier if need be. And it came from The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, which is where I found Baylor's name.

We both like the name "Maelle" (pronounced "my elle"), but I am against it because I feel like people will have no idea how to pronounce it just by looking at it and she'll be constantly correcting and clarifying.

Other names we/I have thrown around for a girl:
"Juniper"
"Olympia"
"Clover"
"Maybelle" (my great-grandmother's name)
"Avalon"

Caveats:

The name cannot start with "B" for either sex, or "J" for a girl. No offense to people out there who do this, but we don't want all our kids' names to start with the same letter. It's just not our bag. And Bryson has requested no triple "J's" for the girl. ("Juniper" was my idea ... I still like it.)

The name needs to be unique, but not weird. We just like it that way; again, no offense to the people who chose more traditional names.

The name needs to sound good with our last name (Jacques) ... this is the hard part. I pronounce our last name like Jacques Cousteau (the French way, if you will). My husband pronounces our last name "jay-quess" ... something someone in his family started a while back. If I have anything to say about it, our kids will go with my pronunciation (that's what Bryson used to go by in high school when we first started dating ... and it's what his grandmother prefers so I have other "higher ups" on my side).

The name has to go with the middle name we've already chosen for that particular sex. We're not changing those so don't even try it.

Any ideas are welcome, but even if EVERYONE on here likes it we have final say. I ... er, we ... reserve the right to reject any name ideas, even if it is for a seemingly silly reason.

Any help you guys could give us would be fantastic! Send me an e-mail, leave me a note on Facebook, leave a comment on here ... how ever you want to respond, please do!

And have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Doug said...

Ok, so not to be biased, but I really hope you have another boy because I love the name you have picked out for the boy. Easton Cartwright Jacques is kind of a cool name.

If it's a girl, I actually really like Vivian. I just mentioned it to Michelle and she liked it too. Tell Bryson not to worry, it's not like Pretty Woman just came out and everyone would think of the name as a hooker name :-)

Autumn said...

I have an ex-boyfriend whose name was Easton (well, I'm sure his name is still Easton...but we're not together, obviously). He was really tall and had red hair. He was really smart and hilarious. I think it's a great name for a boy. Be aware, it is starting to turn into a gender neutral name...he may encounter some female Easton's in the future.

As for girls...let's see. Inputing your name preferences into nymbler.com here are a few suggestions that fit your criteria.

Constance
Faye
Gwendolyn
Myra
Louise / Louisa
Rosalind
Marcella
Autumn -- well, that wasn't suggested, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Happy naming!

Alexis said...

Nicole,

Let me say I really love your names. I was the only ‘Alexis’ in my grade growing up and although it became a more popular name I loved not being one of five Jessica’s in class. Nothing against traditional names, I just like unique but not ‘weird’ names and I think you and Bryson did a great job with your list.

Ok, so for Paco's name I love Easton Cartwright. I know you call Baylor 'Little B', wouldn't it be cute to call Easton 'Baby E' or 'B' and 'E'? Very cute I think, but I am big on nicknames.

I thought Avalon was very striking and unique, especially with Jean as the middle name... and could be 'Ava' or 'Lonnie' or 'AJ' as nicknames (again, I really like nicknames).

I think of Brad and Angelina’s daughter Vivienne when I hear that name, to contradict Bryon's Pretty Woman association. I like that name too.

My favorite names of the moment: Boys: Colin and Camden / Cameron(not very unique)
Girls: Aven, Claire and Alina