Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Raptor is Learning ...

You guys remember that from Jurassic Park? Where they think they're safe, then the raptors start learning things like how to open doors? Yeah, that's my kid.

He's learning new things left and right; some of it is just awesome, and some of it changes the game for us. Like tonight when he learned how to undo the buckle on his high chair. *sigh*

Anyhow, we got down his peg puzzle yesterday and he has been all over it. I was checking my e-mail today, and as I looked over I saw this ...

Yup, he lined up his puzzle pieces, making little groups of colors or shapes. I think he got frustrated when he couldn't make groups of like colors AND shapes, but he kept on rearranging things to get it right.

Then he got to putting his puzzle together ... and I have to say, he did a pretty good job. He's definitely come a long way from when he first got the puzzle and would stack them any which way.

For the longest time, he's been hiding pieces of his toys in his winter boots and I finally caught him in the act today.

After we went to the grocery store, we dropped some bananas off at my parents' house and in the seven minutes it took to get home - well, I found this when I opened the sliding door.

I unbundled my sleepy little man, took him upstairs, and set him in his crib. He slept for about 45 minutes then woke up sobbing. End of nap.

After lunch, he was back to his happy little self, running around the house. I could hear him coming around the island and I snapped this picture as he popped around the corner.


The day was not complete without a little exploration.

My little raptor is systematically trying to figure out how to open the cabinets; so far the locks are besting him, but I know it won't be long before he gets them.


Ah, and we must reset the dishwasher!


Somehow, he got his superhero/villain ball stuck in his Ikea stool. And for some reason, he wanted to carry the whole kit and caboodle around the house. Funny little guy!


He wanted to play with his stacking cups, but the big yellow bin of rubber blocks was in the way. At first he only had one foot in the bucket. While I went to get my camera, though, he got all the way in.


Then apparently his legs got a little tired.


Things I didn't get pictures of:
Little B sat down near me with his My Little Michigan ABC book and started naming letters. Every so often he'd look up at me and smile.

He took out his kitchen stacking cups and, after going through them, put one up on the counter and said, "Eight." It was the eight.

He's starting to understand the concept of light and dark.

He can pretty much open the fridge by himself and likes to take out salad dressings we keep on the bottom door shelf.

And cute things about him right now:

He'll eat just about anything if you let him have applesauce every other bite.

He hugs everything. Hard plastic toys. Puzzle pieces. His Elmo truck. Owl, of course. You name it, he's probably hugged it.

He's all about reading on the couch now. He used to want to sit on the floor on my lap, but now he's excited to say, "Up!" and get up on the couch to sit next to me. (Which is good since my lap is slowly but surely disappearing.)

We think he's a leftie. He does things with both hands but is so much better with his left.

He loves babies. He gets this big goofy grin whenever he sees a picture of a baby. I hope that is a sign of good things to come.

He likes to look at pictures we have on our digital photo frame and frequently asks me to turn it on.

That's it. Hope you enjoyed a little slice of our day!

No comments: