Sunday, June 5, 2011

Feeding Herself

Dinner with Mollie has been a struggle lately.  I feed her her cereal and stage 3 Gerber dinner as continuously as possible; if I stop to feed myself then she gets antsy and decides she doesn't want to eat anymore.  After her main meal, she gets cheese and fruit, but since she hoovers that I'm often left with a little lady who just wants to get down.  In our family, we have a rule that everyone is supposed to stay at the table until everyone is done (within reason - Baylor has taken up to two hours to finish dinner before, so we break the rules then), so letting her down to run around isn't an option.

The other night I decided to let her try her hand at feeding herself some applesauce.  I figured that would keep her busy.  I was right.



She actually did pretty well, better than Baylor did on his first try, if I remember correctly.  Well, except for dipping her hand in the bowl a few times.

Eventually I had to take the bowl away, but she still managed to have fun "painting" with the applesauce left on her tray.

Baylor would have ordinarily been pretty amused by his sister's antics, but he didn't nap that day so he was a little ... tired.


I see a lot more self-feeding in Miss Mollie's future.  Thank goodness!

No comments: