Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us

Today is our fourth wedding anniversary, and looking back I cannot think of a more lovely day. I spent lots of time planning it so that the day of would be as relaxed as possible. Our garden-themed wedding ended up being exactly what I wanted (minus a little pre-wedding panic attack by yours truly - I was terrified of speaking in front of so many people - luckily my awesome sister helped me calm down).

Anyhow, I digress.

We got married at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park at 6:00 p.m., inside, under this sculpture. We were literally surrounded by all our family and friends, and it was a wonderfully intimate gathering.



My flowers looked like this ...


We read vows we had written ourselves. My husband got choked up, and I just beamed.


And afterwards we were "us".


The groom's cake was bitchin'! Go green!


Our cake was beautiful, covered in gum paste roses.


I warned him not to smush it in my face. I warned him. I didn't want wedding cake on my dress for the rest of the reception, and I thought it would be nice if he just fed it to me like he was supposed to. He decided to go a different route. So sad that the only bite of wedding cake I actually got was shoved into my face by my new husband.


Now honey, I know you think this next picture is my favorite of the whole wedding but it is not. No bride should have to look this angry on her wedding day. And yes, you deserved to have cake up your nose. I love you!


The rest of the evening went by quite wonderfully, and we eventually got to the weird part. My husband's family has this bizarre little tradition at weddings where the last couple to get married buys the newly married couple a chamber pot (once used for going to the bathroom indoors in olden times) and fills it with cider and broken chunks of donuts (or donut holes). Yes, it is supposed to look like poop. Then the newly married couple has to eat and drink the concoction. It tasted surprisingly good, and we luckily had Bryson's cousin Patrick and his wife Cynthia as our chamber pot purchasers and they only included cider and donuts (Bryson's brother put corn and honey in Pat and Cynthia's to make it look more "realistic" - yuck!).


We did the typical dances. Our first dance was to Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole's duet, "Unforgettable." It was magical. (Oh, and ironically enough, I heard it playing in the grocery store today! How weird is that? I didn't even know they played music at the grocery store.)


Then we combined the father-daughter, mother-son dances, and we all four danced to "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" by Rod Stewart.



All in all, it was a wonderful evening. We had a great time, and most everything went off without a hitch. I think our only snafu came after the wedding when our photographer went bankrupt and fell out of contact with us before we got our wedding photo album. Total bummer, but at least we had the CDs with all our pictures on them!

None of this would have been possible without our loving families. Not the wedding, not the relationship (if we hadn't been born and all), and not the happiness afterwards. So thanks to ...
The Maxeys


And the Jacqueses.


And thanks to you, honey, for four marvelous, eventful years! I love you! Happy anniversary!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Looks like it was a beautiful day!

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary!!! You looked beautiful and those flowers are awesome!