Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rough Day ...

My sister babysat the kids this morning while I went to the dentist; for those of you who don't know, I have pesky jaw problems that occasionally need attention.

Anyhow, I made it back within an hour and within another hour the kids and I left for home so Mom and Christine could get on with their day. At my parents' house, I noted that Mollie needed a diaper change, but I decided to wait until we got home; we had momentum and I was not about to lose it.

Of course, when we got home, she was asleep and I was able to transfer her successfully into her bouncy seat for a nap. Another hour passed and she woke up to the sounds of her brother's play, a huge drawback to the bouncy seat nap. I brought her up to the counter with us so she could socialize while we ate lunch. All of a sudden, I heard her starting to poop. I'll spare you the rest of the details other than to tell you it was EVERYWHERE. If the outfit she was dressed in wasn't one of my favorites, I would have thrown it away, something I have never done before. It was that bad.

Needless to say, it got on the blessed bouncy seat too, so after I got her changed she went into the jumperoo while Baylor finished lunch. Of course, with all the bouncing she did in her adorable little horsey, she tired herself out and was ready for another nap. And she was hungry. And it was well-past the typical start time for Baylor's nap. So, the three of us plunked down on the couch, watched some Sesame Street (the ultimate relaxer for Baylor), and I nursed Mollie. All the while I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get both kids down for a nap simultaneously. (Oh, and have I mentioned that I didn't have lunch yet ... it was getting on 3:00 p.m.)

I finally decided to take them both upstairs, at the same time, and just get it over with; like ripping an adorable bandaid off. Of course, as luck would have it, Baylor went ballistic when I turned Sesame Street off prematurely (Bryson, you have to let him watch it later!!!), and would not voluntarily go upstairs with me. So, Mollie in the crook of my left arm and Baylor slung under my right, I trudged up the stairs with my precious gifts as quickly as I could.

Once upstairs, I remembered I had to change Baylor's sheets; he actually overflowed a 3T/4T overnight diaper last night. The kid must have a bladder the size of Alaska. Anyhow, I digress. I put Mollie on the floor, kept my eye on Baylor as best I could, and changed his sheets. Then we made our way to Mollie's room where she and I sat on the floor reading "You Are My I Love You". Baylor knew full well what was coming so he stayed standing and poked his head over now and then to see the pictures. Once the book was done, I put my girl in her bed with her binky, her sleep sheep, and her dolly and scooped up the little man. Without much of a fight, he let me snuggle with him in his rocking chair and we read a couple stories. Unfortunately, about then Mollie started crying. After changing Baylor's diaper, I got him in bed and he actually fell asleep pretty quickly, and I was able to sneak into Mollie's room and return her binky and loves to her.
Of course, she started crying again relatively soon thereafter and I let her cry a bit before I went in to reassure her. After that second time, she stayed quiet and seems to have fallen asleep. It was ugly and late and who knows how long the quiet will last. But I got them down.

I didn't, however, get myself lunch; just a half an apple and a slice of cheese caught in between Baylor's courses. But such is life.

This afternoon felt exceedingly rough, and I was throwing myself one hell of a pity party. Until I read this. And while it was still tough, it reminded me to be so very grateful for the health of my children and that I've got it pretty great, all things considered.

Alright, now on to the laundry ... that poop isn't going to wash itself out, you know?

No comments: