Sunday, August 22, 2010

Scrumptious Sunday: Southwestern Chicken Roll-Ups

Yet another recipe from the 101 Things To Do With a Casserole cookbook! This one is wonderfully adaptive for varying numbers of people being served and various tastes. I'll post the original recipe and then tell you the tweaks I made.

Southwestern Chicken Roll-Ups

1 cup finely crushed cheese crackers
1 envelope taco seasoning
4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 to 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

On a plate, combine crackers and taco seasoning. Flatten chicken with a meat tenderizer and place 1 slice cheese and about 1 tablespoon chiles on each piece of chicken. Roll chicken and secure with a toothpick. Sprinkle chicken with cracker mixture and place in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remember to remove the toothpicks before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

That's it! Here are the pictures when I made it:



As you can probably tell, I didn't use the green chiles. I don't really care for spicy things, so those were replaced by a diced onion (and lots of it). Also, instead of baking both breasts together, since I modified the recipe to make it for only two people - SO easy to do! - I put them in their own baking dishes and spiced my husband's up with some red pepper flakes added into the cracker mixture. Next time I make this I might add green pepper into the middle to see how that tastes.

It is really a delicious recipe! Use the basic idea, and see where your imagination and preferences take you!

No comments: