Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Day of Five Times

Today was a long day.  My husband has been out of town for two days now, so I have assumed all of the parental roles and duties, particularly at night, and let me tell you - it is exhausting taking care of two small children all by yourself.  I give major props to anyone who does it on a more regular basis than I or with more children (or without family in town).

Anyhow, I digress.

I suppose I should warn you, I mention poop a lot in this post. Don't bother reading on if you don't want to hear about it.

We kicked off the day with a poop from Mollie (nothing like walking into a nursery and having it smell like poo) bright and early at 8:15 a.m.  Recently we started putting the kids to bed a little earlier and, of course, this has resulted in them getting up a little earlier.  I, on the other hand, have NOT  been going to bed earlier.  You get my drift.

The day proceeded as usual, except that Baylor had four poops through the course of the day, unusual for him but certainly nothing to worry about.  We spent the day at my parents' house with my mom and sister, so I had some extra help feeding and entertaining the kiddos.  At the end of the day, though, we headed home for bath night and bed time.

Baylor started our nighttime routine with a bang by pushing Mollie over when she sidled up next to him, landing him in time out for two minutes.  Then, after apologizing and giving her a kiss, he got down and we went upstairs.  After depositing all the necessary crib buddies (Mr. Bear, Mr. Bear's brother Mr. Bear, Blankie, Dolly, Sleep Sheep, and two more blankies), toothbrush, cup of milk, and ibuprofen syringe in their respective spots, we headed to the bathroom for baths.  Lately, the kids have been getting a bath together, and it has been working well overall.  Unfortunately, I ran the water a little on the cool side so the kids' teeth (or gums) started chattering the minute they got out of the tub.

After getting them all dried off, I let Baylor do a naked run around the upstairs while I got Mollie into her diaper and PJs.  Then it was Baylor's turn for a diaper and PJs, and tonight it was one of his favorite outfits - rescue vehicles!  As I got him dressed, Mollie took it upon herself to empty out the bag of books in his room, and what she didn't get to Baylor dumped out himself when he was done getting dressed.  Though he protested when I started putting them back in the bag, we got them all squared away with three left out for the bedtime routine.  I handed him his cup of milk, and he went to town on it as we read through Time for Bed and Fifteen Animals.  Unfortunately, he was wound tighter than a drum and both kids shrieked and squealed at each other's antics as I tried desperately to get them to calm down while I read.

Baylor finished his milk by the time I got done with the first two books, so I went to work trying to get him to sit still so I could brush his teeth.  At one point I had wrestled him to the ground, pinning down his lower half with both my legs, his upper half with my elbows and a pretty good headlock.  He eventually squirmed away and I was going to give up, but then he started whimpering and asking me to brush his teeth.  I told him he had to sit still in the chair while I brushed, and he did.  Whew!

Then it was time for Fidgety Fish and Friends, the last book of the evening.  Hallelujah!  I got through the first two pages when all of a sudden I smelled something.  Something quite unpleasant.

"Baylor, did you poop?" I asked.

"Yeah."

Great.  Poop number FIVE of the day!  Oh well, I thought, at least it didn't happen while he was in bed.

I scooped him up and plopped him on the changing table.  Upon unzipping his footed pajamas, however, I noticed that some poo had escaped.  Uh oh.  Mollie, meanwhile, started unloading the books from the bag again.  After quickly shoving them back in and plopping the bag on the chair, I went to work on Baylor.  To my horror, poop was streaked all the way down his leg, almost to his ankle!  Even more horrific ... it was the leg without the zipper.  Which meant I had a solid pajama'd leg full of poop.

Awesome.

After getting him cleaned up, I glanced back to see what Mollie was up to and found her playing with an errant maxi pad Baylor had found in the bathroom and stuck in his crib slats.  *sigh*  Oh well, at least she was content.  We started reading Fidgety Fish and Friends again, and only a few pages into and Mollie had the packaging of the pad opened and the paper strip pulled off the back.

"What's Mollie doing?!" Baylor exclaimed.

*sigh*

As she shredded the paper strip, I finished the book and put it back into the bag.  I looked back to find this ...



Yeah, that's Baylor with a maxi pad stuck to his rear end.

Oh well, at least he's happy.

Good night, sweet dreams, and may your nights be poop-free!

1 comment:

Oma said...

I say to you with all love and sincerety, maybe you should ease up on his morning oatmeal. I know from personal experience the havoc that can cause on your digestive tract. Just try it for a couple of days - have him eat some Kiks or something, you are a good Mom and give him good nutrition, he'll do just fine. :-)