Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup

Another recipe?  Get outta town!

I had the luck to try this at Meijer the other day, and I tried my hand at it today.  I'm not so sure how I did, but it was delicious at Meijer so I have faith that I'll master this recipe sooner or later.

Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup

Vegetable Cooking Spray
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (I used brown because that's what I had on hand)
1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 cup chunky salsa
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I omitted this because I didn't want to hassle with fresh herbs)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Crisp Tortilla Strips

1. Spray a 6-quart saucepot with cooking spray.  Heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute.  Add the chicken to the saucepot.  Cook until brown (done), stirring often.

2.  Stir the broth, cumin, and rice in the saucepot.  Heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

3.  Stir the corn, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice in the saucepot.  Cook until the rice is tender.  Top each serving of soup with Crisp Tortilla Strips.

Crisp Tortilla Strips:  Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Cut 4 corn tortillas into thin strips and place them on a baking sheet.  Spray with cooking spray.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.  

I had a little trouble getting the rice to become tender, but later when I went to cool it so I could freeze it the rice absorbed all of the moisture in the soup!  Sooo we'll see how it turned out.  I know this is a good recipe, having tasted it at the grocery store once already, but I might need to work on how I make it.

I hope you enjoy it!  Happy Sunday!

No comments: